Therapist Schedules and Pay Practices, ListServ Summary, July 2022
Rehab administrators answer questions regarding Therapist Schedules and Pay Practices. IPRC archives information collected by the Pediatric Rehab Administrator’s ListServ as a public service to the entire Pediatric Rehabilitation Community. All information is posted in summary format and has been de-identified. Search through past queries for responses to rehabilitation related questions.
- Are your OT/PT/SLPs hourly or salary?
- What is the full-time equivalent range of positions available to your employees? Per diem, .2, .4, .6, .8, 1.0 FTE, etc?
- At what FTE are benefits offered?
- What days of the week do you staff your acute care units per discipline OT/PT/SLP?
- What days of the week do you staff your inpatient rehab unit per discipline OT/PT/SLP? What types of work schedules do you offer? 8 hour days, 9 hour days, 10 hour days, flex days?
- Do you have FTE budgeted to back-fill vacation, sick, and leaves of absence?
- What is your productivity expectation for your inpatient care? Is this measured as direct patient facing time, or measured by RVUs produced?
- How are meetings and special projects accounted for in measuring productivity (is the productivity expectation altered on days with additional commitments, or are therapists expected to fit these in around patient care and still achieve the same level of productivity)?
- Does productivity affect performance review ratings for individual therapists?
- What is your target caseload ratio to FTE for acute care (# patients managed per FTE)? What is your target caseload ratio to FTE for inpatient rehab care (# patients managed per FTE)?
- What is the compensation structure for your weekend coverage (differential, 1.5X, same as weekdays)?
- What is the compensation structure for your holiday coverage (differential, 1.5X, same as weekdays)?
- Do you have weekend/holiday therapists on call as back-up for the primary therapists in case they are ill? If so, how are they compensated for being on-call? What is your CE benefit in $ and days/hours?
- Do you have a clinical ladder?
- Do you have different job descriptions for inpatient vs. outpatient therapists?
- Do you have differences in exempt status for inpatient vs. outpatient- for example, inpatient as hourly (nonexempt) and outpatient as salary (exempt)?
- Do you have different rates of pay for inpatient vs. outpatient therapists?
Summary of Responses (De-identified)