was presented on February 5, 2015 by Dr. Bonnie Rice, DNP, ARNP, MSN, CRRN, CPHQ, CPST.
Bonnie Rice is the nurse practitioner for the Inpatient Pediatric Rehabilitation Program at Tampa General Hospital’s Children’s Medical Services.
Her presentation focused on sexuality counseling during the inpatient rehabilitation stay, but the techniques are easily utilized in outpatient settings.
1. Identify sexuality as a normal part of growth and development for adolescents and teens
2. Describe some societal and psychosocial barriers to sexual development of adolescents with disabilities
3. List 2 proper methods and content for education about sexuality as child maturation/understanding progresses
4. Discuss in different diagnoses and the expected trajectories of sexual development
5. Categorize 2 issues surrounding contraception and disability
Recognize the potential for sexual abuse and the concept that education is the an effective preventative tool against abuse
At Tampa General, they include sexuality as a part of routine education for all families, whether facing a developmental challenge or coping with a newly acquired traumatic brain injury. Their comprehensive sexuality teaching program uses a comprehensive list of resources that will be shared with participants.
Members may view the soon to be recorded webinar by logging in below.
Consider joining today. Click here for membership information.
A Networking Call will be held on Monday February 9th.
Click here for information.
_________________________________________________________ This content is restricted to IPRC members. If you are interested in becoming a member, fill out the form below and we will be in touch!
If you are a current member, please login.