Audiology Meningitis Protocol, Pediatric ListServ Summary, March 2022
Rehab administrators answer questions regarding Audiology Meningitis Protocols. IPRC archives information collected by the Pediatric Rehab Administrator’s ListServ as a public service to the entire Pediatric Rehabilitation Community. All information is posted in summary format and has been de-identified. Search through past queries for responses to rehabilitation related questions.
Inpatient Specific Questions:
- How early following the meningitis diagnosis is Audiology consulted and who initiates the consult? Is this an automated process?
- What Audiology testing is done and within what timeline? Do you have concerns/issues with anesthesia and completion of the ABR?
- Is Radiologic testing completed during the inpatient admission to assess early ossification?
- At what point, is ENT consulted?
- What is the pathway and timeline for outpatient follow-up and intervention?
- Do you have a cochlear implant program? If no, does this impact your protocol? Please describe.
- Who “case manages” these patients to assure that the follow-up is completed and that expected timelines are met?
- Do you have a written policy/procedure/pathway that you can share?
Summary of Responses